National Barbecue Day
Five Food Finds about Barbecue
- Barbecues have been a White House tradition since Thomas Jefferson. Lyndon B. Johnson, the 36th president of the United States, hosted the first barbecue at the White House that featured Texas-style barbecued ribs.
- The most popular holidays for barbecuing are, in order, July 4th (71 percent), Memorial Day (57 percent), and Labor Day (55 percent)..
- The most popular foods for cooking on the grill are, in order: burgers (85 percent), steak (80 percent), hot dogs (79 percent) and chicken (73 percent).
- The side dishes most commonly prepared on the grill are, in order, corn (41 percent), potatoes (41 percent), and other vegetables (32 percent).
- The most popular flavors of barbecue sauce are hickory, followed by mesquite, honey, and then spicy-hot.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1828 The cornerstone was laid for the Tremont House in Boston, Massachusetts. It would be…
View original post 208 more words