May 25 is National Wine Day!
Did you know…
- The longest recorded champagne cork flight was 177 feet and 9 inches, four feet from level ground at Woodbury Vineyards in New York State.
- Thomas Jefferson helped stock the wine cellars of the first five U.S. presidents and was very partial to fine Bordeaux and Madeira.
- Chilling tones down the sweetness of wine. If a red wine becomes too warm, it may lose some of its fruity flavor.
- The Irish believe that fairies are extremely fond of good wine.
- Foot treading of grapes is still used in producing a small quantity of the best port wines.
Today’s Food History
- 1789 R.I.P. Anders Dahl. A renowned Swedish botanist, the Dahlia flower was named for him.
- 1877 Minnesota’s $1.00 per bushel bounty on grasshopper eggs expires. The state had experienced a 4 year grasshopper (locust) plague.
- 1882 The first frozen mutton from New…
View original post 100 more words