The quintessential American summer dessert today!
Now that Strawberries are at their peak,
Add the tart flavor of rhubarb, mix, bake, and enjoy.
Today’s Rhubarb Facts:
- Did you know that even though rhubarb is eaten as a fruit, it is actually a vegetable?
- The rhubarb plant was originally from Asia, although it is very widespread in Ireland and North America.
- It is a perennial plant, which means that it lives for more than two years.
- It has large triangular green leaves that look very much like cabbage leaves, and very small flowers that are greenish-white to red in colour.
- The stalks of the rhubarb plant are thick, firm, pink in color, and stumpy.
Today’s Food History
- 1822 Paul Henderson was born. A Scottish-American scientist, known as the ‘Father of America Horticulture,’ he published ‘Gardening for Profit’ and ‘Gardening for Pleasure’.
- 1822 Charles Graham received the first patent for false teeth.
View original post 152 more words